Magento Patch SUPEE-8967 for MasterCard Bin Expansion
MasterCard is expanding their BIN series. MasterCard® has received an additional range of 2-series numbers to add to the 5-series that they currently provide. The 2-series BINs operate in the same way as the 5-series. MasterCard customer financial institutions can expect to be issued 2-series BINs starting in 2017. Bank Identification Numbers (BINs), which are the first six digits of the account number, are fundamental to payments. They identify the issuing institution for the account and ensure that each transaction is routed correctly.
What merchants need to know
All merchant POS (Point of Sale) terminals and related systems, web page checkout software and anywhere a MasterCard card number is accepted or housed, must be 2-series ready per timing in the table below. Merchants should work with their acquirer or service provider to evaluate their systems to determine whether updates are needed to accept 2-series BIN payments. Merchants who would like to request 2-series test or production cards can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Potential implications for merchants
- POS terminals and/or cash register updates
- Educating your employees
- Reporting, processing, and reconciliation
- E-commerce/online checkout
Patch for Magento SUPEE-8967
Earlier Magento versions couldn’t recognize Credit cards with the updated BIN number range, this patch fixes it. The new Magento Security patch SUPEE-8967 contains the update for Magento to correctly recognize updated BIN range of card numbers from MasterCard. It is applicable only to Magento versions prior to CE 126.96.36.199 and is already included in versions CE 188.8.131.52 and later. For versions older than Magento CE 184.108.40.206, a previous patch for discover changes (SUPEE-2725) needs to be applied first.
Want to get in touch with us?
- Important Security Vulnerability Issues and Security Updates for 2.3.3 and 2.2.10
- 7 Steps to Recover Your WORDPRESS Website After Malicious Script or Virus Attack
- What is AMP and How to Make Your Website AMP Ready?
- Magento Commerce 2.3.3 and Security-Only Patch 2.3.2-p1 - Begin Your Upgrades Now!
- Magento Commerce 2.2.X Is Nearing the End of Support, It Is Time to Upgrade!